ConservativeHome, publisher of the UK’s most influential Conservative-supporting news and analysis website, seeks a Commercial Director to play a key part in the company’s growth. This is a rare opportunity to take on a senior role at an exciting point in the development of a unique company close to the heart of the political world.
The ideal candidate will be politically engaged and business-minded, pairing the ability to create innovative strategies for commercial growth with the willingness to get hands-on to make them a reality. Those with experience in public affairs and/or media partnerships would be particularly well-suited.
Responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Working with the Chief Executive to design and deliver a strategy for the growth of ConservativeHome’s commercial activity;
- Creating and capitalising on new commercial opportunities for the business;
- Managing relationships with existing commercial partners, and identifying and developing new partnerships;
- Leading on sales for sponsorship of our popular Party Conference events programme and other event sponsorships year-round;
- Managing the Head of Events and other commercial team members in delivering the ConservativeHome events programme;
- Developing and growing our ConservativeIntelligence Dining Club, including via the retention and recruitment of members;
- Liaising with suppliers and agencies who support ConservativeHome’s work, including our advertising agency.
Key skills, experience and qualities
- Extensive experience and knowledge of politics. You are excited by political events, have excellent contacts and wish to develop further.
- Public affairs insight and experience. You have a strong understanding of the interests, priorities and business needs of public affairs professionals, both in-house and agency, and great relationships in the sector.
- Sales and client relationship management. Your track record shows an ability to identify potential business prospects, sell services successfully to them, and subsequently manage client relationships to maintain satisfaction, secure renewals and further sales.
- Drive and initiative. You are imaginative, creative and ambitious – able to spot and capitalise on new commercial opportunities.
- Ability to prioritise and work under pressure.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Sympathy with the values and aims of ConservativeHome.
Desirable skills, experience and qualities
- Experience of line-managing and supporting colleagues.
- Marketing experience, through traditional and social media.
- Experience of developing and running partnerships with or for a media organisation.
Very competitive, with potential for performance-related rewards. Dependent on experience and ability.
Deadline, interviews and start date
The role would start as soon as possible, dependent upon the successful candidate’s availability. Applications close at 5pm on 6th July 2021, with interviews to take place in London shortly afterwards.
To apply, please send a one-page cover letter and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org