The UK’s most influential Conservative-supporting news and analysis website seeks a new full-time Deputy Editor. This is a rare opportunity to take on a senior role in a fast-developing outlet at a very exciting time for the site and centre right political journalism.
The ideal candidate will be a skilled writer, with political insight and experience, capable of turning their hand to the varied tasks involved in planning and producing a daily high-quality online publication.
Responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Writing daily news, opinion and analysis articles on the subject of UK politics;
- Commissioning and editing articles from outside contributors;
- Supporting the Editor in planning and producing ConservativeHome content, and maintaining quality and consistency in output;
- Aiding the Editor in the management of a small and experienced team of journalists;
- Fulfilling Duty Editor shifts (these include the production of a comprehensive round-up of the morning’s newspapers and our morning newsletter for 9am, and require an early start; the Deputy Editor would normally do around two such shifts a week);
- Chairing ConservativeHome events at Conservative Party Conference and providing expert analysis at ConservativeHome events;
- Representing ConservativeHome in the broadcast media;
- Managing social media channels.
Key skills, experience and qualities
- Excellent written English.
- The ability to prioritise and work under pressure.
- Journalistic experience. You will have written for established print or online outlets, produced a blog for yourself or an organisation, ghost-written newspaper articles for others, or similar. You know how to develop an argument, and what is and is not a story.
- Drive and initiative. You are full of ideas for stories and articles, and are able to work independently, reacting to events and following editorial instructions on the basis of your own judgement. We mostly work remotely.
- Political knowledge/experience. You are excited by political events, have excellent contacts, and are keen to develop further. Perhaps you have already worked in a Westminster newsroom, campaign team or Parliamentary office.
- Understanding and experience of social media, particularly Twitter.
- Sympathy with the values and aims of ConservativeHome.
Desirable skills, experience and qualities
- Experience of using WordPress.
- Experience of managing and supporting junior colleagues.
- Video editing skills.
- Broadcast media and/or podcasting experience.
Very competitive, dependent on experience and ability.
Start date and interviews
The role would start as soon as feasibly possible, dependent upon the successful candidate’s availability. Applications close at 6pm on Monday 20th January, with interviews to take place in London very shortly afterwards.
To apply, please send a one-page cover letter and a CV to development@conservativehome.
Links to examples of writing, social media output and broadcast experience are welcome, within reason, to illustrate skills and experience.