- The original incident lasted 45 seconds.
- 30 police officers were put on the investigation (“Operation Alice”).
- 800 members of the Diplomatic Protection Group were interviewed (goodness knows why).
- The cost of “Alice” was £143,000.
- One policeman, Keith Wallis, was charged with misconduct in a public office: yesterday, Wallis pleaded guilty.
- Three members of the Police Federation outside London have been investigated over a separate incident by West Mercia Police and are now being investigated by the IPCC.
- There are two lawsuits. Mitchell is suing the Sun, and P.C Toby Rowlands is suing Mitchell.
David Cameron must find it almost as hard to grasp all this detail as most of the rest of us. Fortunately, he doesn’t have to. All he needs to do is answer a question in his own mind: is Mitchell innocent? If the answer to that question is “Yes”, justice demands that he should be restored to the Cabinet – in which the Prime Minister clearly believes Mitchell is capable of serving, since he appointed him to it in the first place.