Former CentreRight contributor Dr Lee Rotherham of The TaxPayers' Alliance has rated MEPs according to these criteria:
- Number of Parliamentary Questions asked (20%)
- Campaigning activity (20%)
- Expenses Transparency (20%)
- Parliamentary voting record on key transparency, red tape, spending controls and anti-corruption legislation (40%)
- Bonus marks were awarded for MEPs who opted out of the excessive second pension scheme and deducted for the 4 MEPs who have been involved in scandals involving financial irregularities.
His analysis produces a top ten that includes ten Tory MEPs:
> A week ago Open Europe published league tables for MEPs according to more narrow criteria of open-ness.