- Stephen Timms to be Chief Secretary to the Treasury. Ed Balls to join Treasury team in junior ministerial role.
- Hilary Armstrong to have responsibility for social exclusion in Cabinet.
- Radio 4’s WATO reporting that Hutton and Hewitt to stay in post.
- Ruth Kelly takes over ODPM responsibilities.
- Douglas Alexander (Brownite) goes to transport.
- David Miliband to replace Beckett at environment.
- Tessa Jowell and Peter Hain (despite peerage for Peter Law allegation) stay in post.
- This is an extensive reshuffle with a number of big casualties… Hilary Armstrong, Charles Clarke, Ian McCartney. Has Blair created new, heavyweight critics on the backbenches?
- No news yet on young guns Ed Balls, David Miliband and Douglas Alexander, or troubled ministers Patricia Hewitt or Ruth Kelly.
- Des Browne (Brownite) to Defence…
- Adam Boulton on Sky is questioning whether Hoon will be in Cabinet.
- Alan Johnson (Blairite) moves to education…
- Alistair Darling (Brownite) to DTI…
- Jacqui Smith is new Chief Whip…
- Hazel Blears (Blairite) is new Party Chair…
- John Reid (Blairite) is new Home Secretary. Charles Clarke (Blairite) unhappy with PM’s decision. PM offered Clarke an alternative job in Cabinet but he has chosen to return to backbenches.
- Margaret Beckett has replaced Jack Straw as Foreign Secretary.
- Jack Straw demoted to Leader of the House.
- Geoff Hoon is new Cabinet Minister for Europe.
- John Prescott stays as Deputy PM and in charge of key Cabinet committees but loses Office of Deputy Prime Minister.