We are remorselessly parochial in our headline, but more to the point is that Daniel has been one of Britain’s leading forces for leaving the EU over many years. The journalist and former MEP will continue his fortnightly column on this site.
Many congratulations to him from the ConHome team, and also to two of our regular contributors who are also to go to the Lords: Syed Kamall, the former leader of both the Conservatives in the European Parliament and of the European Conservatives and Reformists, who was a co-columnist in that capacity, and Dean Godson of Policy Exchange, who has given the think tank formidable range and depth since his appointment as its director.
It is quite a Brexity list on the Tory side. Peter Cruddas, the business and one-time leading Vote Leave donor, is on it. The House of Lords Appointments Commission “could not support” Cruddas’ nomination, but the Prime Minister has considered the Commission’s advice and wider factors, and “concluded that, exceptionally, the nomination should proceed”. Here is his letter to the Commission.
The other Conservative appointments are: Jacqueline Foster, the former Deputy Leader of the Conservatives in the European Parliament; Richard Benyon, the former DEFRA Minister, who was one of the 21 Tory MPs from whom the whip was removed last year over Brexit (it was restored soon afterwards); and Stephanie Fraser, the Chief Executive of Cerebral Palsy Scotland.
Here is the full list:
- Rt Hon Sir Richard Benyon – former Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and MP for Newbury.
- Peter Cruddas – businessman and philanthropist.
- Dame Jacqueline Foster – formerly Deputy Leader of the Conservative Party in the European Parliament and Member of the European Parliament for North West England.
- Stephanie Fraser – Chief Executive of Cerebral Palsy Scotland.
- Dean Godson – Director of Policy Exchange.
- Daniel Hannan – formerly Member of the European Parliament for South East England.
- Syed Kamall – formerly Leader of the Conservative Party in the European Parliament and Member of the European Parliament for London.
- Cllr Judith Blake CBE – Leader of Leeds City Council.
- Jennifer Chapman – formerly Member of Parliament for Darlington.
- Vernon Coaker – formerly Minister of State for Schools and Member of Parliament for Gedling.
- Wajid Khan – formerly Member of the European Parliament for North West England.
- Gillian Merron – Chief Executive of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, former Minister of State for Public Health and Member of Parliament for Lincoln.
- Sir Terence Etherton PC QC – lately Master of the Rolls and Head of Civil Justice.
- Sir Simon McDonald KCMG KCVO – lately Permanent Under-Secretary at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and Head of the Diplomatic Service.
- Sir Andrew Parker KCB – lately Director General of MI5, the Security Service.
- The Rt Revd. And Rt Hon Dr John Sentamu – lately Archbishop of York.