- The Commons will presumably now sit on Saturday.
- But isn’t clear as we write whether there will be an indicative vote or one on a legal text.
- Nor whether an extension will be proposed or agreed – and in the last case for how long.
- It is therefore also unclear whether the alternative to the new deal is no deal – or a further postponement of Brexit.
- Although it is being reported that Labour will support a second referendum on Saturday, Jeremy Corbyn is still using the term “a public vote – which would also cover a general election.
“My children have asked me to leave politics altogether.” Paterson quits as an MP. His full statement.
‘The cost… has been catastrophic.’ Paterson’s statement on the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards’ inquiry.
Get our free daily email
Start your day with all the latest Conservative news, insight and analysis.