Back in the early days of her premiership, Theresa May flamed a variety of people associated with her predecessor. Memorably George Osborne was told to give away and get to know his party.
Among her targets was a former Press Secretary, who attracted the following barb when he received a knighthood for his services:
“I’m particularly pleased to see that Craig Oliver… sorry Sir Craig, is here tonight. In his book he said that when he heard the result of the referendum, he walked out of the office and as he walked into Whitehall started retching violently.
I have to say that I think we all understand that feeling, most of us experienced it too when we saw his name on the resignations honours list.”
Sir Craig might be forgiven a grim smile today as May’s own resignation honours are dispensed, rather sooner than she might have imagined back in 2016. We may never know what award was received by whoever wrote the original joke, but it carries a certain sense of irony now.
– – –
With a hat-tip to Guido, here are the Conservatives on the list in full.
Theresa May’s Nominations (Conservative)
- Rt Hon. Gavin Barwell, former Chief of Staff to Theresa May.
- David Brownlow CVI DL, Vice-Chairman of the Conservative Party.
- Stephen Parkinson, Political Secretary and former SpAd to the Home Office.
- Joanna Penn, Deputy Chief of Staff and former SpAd to the Home Office.
- Elizabeth Sanderson, Former SpAd to Theresa May in No. 10 and the Home Office.
Conservative Party Nominations
- Zameer Choudrey CBE, Chairman of Conservative Friends of Pakistan and Chief Executive of Bestway Group.
- (Henry) Byron Davies, Chairman of the Welsh Conservatives and former MP for Gower.
- Raminder Ranger CBE, Chairman of Conservative Friends of India.
Order of the Companions of Honour (CH)
- Rt Hon. Sir Patrick Mcloughlin MP, MP for Derbyshire Dales and former Chairman of the Conservative Party.
- Knight/Dame Commander of the Order of St Michael and St George (KCMG).
- George Hollingbery MP, MP for Meon Valley and former Minister of State for Trade Policy and Former PPS to the Prime Minister.
- Oliver Robbins CB, Theresa May’s former Europe Advisor and Chief Brexit Negotiator.
Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB)
- Rt Hon. David Lidington CBE, MP for Aylesbury and former Deputy Prime Minister.
- Peter Storr CB, Former European Adviser to the Prime Minister.
Knight/Dame Commander (KBE).
- Cressida Dick CBE QPM, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service.
- Charles Walker OBE, MP for Broxbourne and Chairman of the House of Commons Procedure Committee.
- Geoffrey Boycott OBE, Former captain of the English National Cricket Team.
- Ashley Fox, Former MEP for the South West and Gibraltar and leader of the Conservative delegation in the European Parliament.
- Robbie Gibb, Former Director of Communications at Downing Street.
- Ehud Sheleg, Treasurer of the Conservative Party.
Companion of the Order of Bath (CB)
- Peter Hill, PPS to the Prime Minister and former Director of Strategy at the FCO
Commander of the British Empire (CBE).
- (David) Jackson Carlaw MSP, MSP for Eastwood and Interim Leader of the Scottish Conservatives.
- Fiona Hill, Former Joint Chief of Staff to Theresa May.
- Richard Jackson MBE, Former Head of Operations at Downing Street.
- Rt Hon. Brandon Lewis, MP for Great Yarmouth and Minister of State at the Home Office, former Tory Party Chair.
- James Marshall, Former director of the PM’s No. 10 Policy Unit.
- Rt Hon. Julian Smith, MP for Skipton & Ripon, Secretary of State for Northern Ireland and former Chief Whip.
- Nicholas Timothy, Former Joint Chief of Staff to Theresa May.
Order of the British Empire (OBE)
- Kirsty Buchanan, Director of Communications and MHCLG and former No. 10 SpAd.
- Keelan Carr, Former Director of Research and Messaging at No. 10 and SpAd.
- Alexander Dawson, Former Director of Researcher and Messaging at No. 10.
- Philip Dumville, Agent to Maidenhead, Beaconsfield and Chesham & Amersham Conservative Association.
- Paul Harrison, Former Press Secretary to the Prime Minister.
- Seema Kennedy, MP for South Ribble and Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Home Office. Former PPS to the Prime Minister.