Dear leadership candidates,
The Conservative Women in Parliament Group believes that women should have the same freedoms and opportunities as men.
Conservatives have a proud record of promoting gender equality. We have introduced mandatory gender pay-gap reporting and the right to request flexible working. We have led the way legislating on crimes which particularly target women like modern slavery and domestic violence. And, of course, we have had two female Prime Ministers – showing there need be no limits to a woman’s ambition.
But there is more to do. There are so many ways in which women face greater challenges and fewer opportunities in their lives.
Britain should be the best place in the world to be a woman – a country where your talents and hard work, not your identity, background, or gender, determine your success.
As a candidate to be the next Conservative leader and Prime Minister we call on you to explain how you will build on this record and achieve the Conservative vision of a fairer, more equal society.
- How will you end discrimination on the grounds of gender?
- How will you close the gender pay gap and make sure women have equal opportunities to succeed at work?
- How will you help families share caring responsibilities and career opportunities more equally?
- How will you help women gain equal financial security and independence?
- How will you tackle inequalities in health outcomes for women?
- How will you tackle sexual harassment and violence against women at home and abroad?
- How will you increase the number of women elected to public office?
- How will you increase our Party’s electoral appeal to female voters, particularly young women?
We look forward to your response with interest.
- Helen Whately MP
- Rachel Maclean MP
Victoria Atkins MP, Maria Caulfield MP, Mims Davies MP, Vicky Ford MP, Nus Ghani MP, Trudy Harrison MP, Gillian Keegan MP, Maria Miller MP, Nicky Morgan MP, Victoria Prentis MP, Maggie Throup MP, Chloe Smith MP, Dame Caroline Spelman MP, Anne-Marie Trevelyan MP.
Baroness Altmann CBE, Baroness Berridge, Baroness Bertin, Baroness Chisholm of Owlpen, Baroness Couttie, Baroness Bloomfield of Hinton Waldrist, Baroness Eaton DBE DL, Baroness Fall, Baroness Finn, Baroness Helic, Baroness Hodgson, Baroness Jenkin of Kennington, Baroness McGregor-Smith CBE, Baroness Newlove, Baroness Pidding CBE, Baroness Redfern, Baroness Rock.