Cllr Kris Wilson is the Leader of the Conservative Group on Nuneaton and Bedworth Council.
On Saturday, the Nuneaton and Bedworth Conservatives launched our manifesto for the local elections. We were extremely fortunately to be joined at our launch by our new Chairman of the Party, Amanda Milling, together with our local MPs and Police and Crime Commissioner.
Before the General Election and since, we have been out on the doorsteps. We have listened to the concerns of local residents about the direction our towns have been taken in, after 44 years of Labour control. People across Nuneaton and Bedworth are desperate for change, and this Saturday we have launched our vision to deliver that change.
Our manifesto focuses on the peoples’ priorities:
- Transforming our town centres – Under Labour, our towns have seen massive decline. Residents deserve strong and decisive leadership to transform them. The Conservative Government has already pledged up to £50 million to regenerate Nuneaton, but Labour cannot be trusted to deliver. They overspent by £2 million on a new council depot – how can they transform Nuneaton? We will lobby our Conservative Government to put forward Transforming Bedworth as an equal priority in the next round of the Future High Streets Fund.
- Cutting tax and stopping waste – We will cut Labour’s Green Bin Tax, which they introduced after the last election, despite promising not to do so.
- Cleaning up our Borough – We will ensure that our town centres are deep cleaned at least twice a year and purchase additional mobile CCTV to catch and deter fly-tippers who blight our borough.
- Making our streets safer – We will work with our Police and Crime Commissioner, Philip Seccombe – to deliver additional mobile CCTV cameras to deter anti-social behaviour and bring more criminals to justice in Nuneaton and Bedworth.
- Building the right homes in the right places – We will review Labour’s unfair local plan, which has seen thousands of unwanted extra homes planned for our borough to deal with neighbouring Labour local authorities inflated housing targets. We will also introduce a Local Authority Mortgage Scheme designed specifically for local first time buyers to help them get onto the first rung on the housing ladder.
To read our manifesto in full click here.
Nuneaton and Bedworth had fantastic results at the General Election a few months ago. But we mustn’t be complacent or rest on our laurels. A lot of hard work has been done, but there is plenty more to do.
Labour have hardly been seen anywhere in Nuneaton or Bedworth over the last few months, whereas we have been out and about all over the Borough. But, we have to fight for every vote to ensure that we turn Nuneaton and Bedworth – the only Labour authority left in Warwickshire – blue, come 7 May 2020.
If anyone wants to come and join us in this fight for the future of Nuneaton and Bedworth, please get in touch with us: email@example.com and we can point you to campaigning in either Nuneaton or Bedworth.