Cllr Sean Woodward is the Leader of Fareham Borough Council.
Welborne Garden Village will be a distinct new community set apart from, but connected to, Fareham. Enjoying a superb location close to the major cities along the south coast, Welborne forms a significant part of Fareham Borough Council’s housing strategy which ensures there are enough homes to meet demand for the next 25 years.
Importantly, led by modern Garden Village principles and local aspirations, Welborne will be designed for 21st century living. Four distinct character areas will complement the natural landscape and create a sense of place.
A thriving Village Centre and supporting neighbourhood hubs with a range of shops and services will combine to ensure the day-to-day needs of individuals, families, and the community are met.
The Council has ambitions to help build more new housing and help more people realise their dream of owning their own home through a variety of new initiatives. Building communities lies at the heart of this programme, and we will create a new self-sustaining, great and desirable place to live at Welborne. We are also one of the Government’s Starter Home land partners and we will be providing homes for first time buyers aged 23 – 40 at a discount of at least 20 per cent off market value.
Fareham Borough Council has embarked on a new delivery strategy for Welborne. Bold and innovative, the proposal enables the Council to drive development forward to create the south’s first Garden Village.
The Council is keen to engage the market in early discussions on the best approach to delivering Welborne Garden Village. It is therefore seeking to appoint a delivery partner who shares its vision and aspirations for Welborne and, importantly, has a demonstrable track record in delivering the place-making and infrastructure required to bring the project forward.
With the full support of the council and its partners, new government backing and funding already in place to help with the motorway improvements needed, this is an exciting opportunity for the right developer.
Inspired by the Government’s new Garden Village framework, Welborne will be a holistically planned new community with its own unique sense of identity, built to a high quality design, and using cutting edge technology.
So much more than housing, Welborne Garden Village will feature:
- Approximately 6,000 new homes.
- Around 6,000 new jobs and 1,000,000 square feet of new office, light industrial and warehouse floor space (50 acres of land dedicated to employment).
- A Village Centre and two supporting local neighbourhood centres with a range of shops and services.
- A new secondary school within the Village Centre and three new primary schools.
- New community and health facilities including a community building (5,000 square feet) and a smaller community hub.
- 250 acres of natural green space, play areas, allotments and sports facilities all contained within the village boundaries.
- A direct link to Fareham Town Centre and Railway Station via an extension of the existing Eclipse Bus Rapid Transit service.
- Transformation of Junction 10 of the M27 to an all-moves junction, alleviating congestion on the M27, and a benefit not just for Welborne – but for the whole of the Solent region.