The Independent previews five pledge card-style pledges and scare stories that Labour strategists hope will get the Labour Party moving up in opinion polls.
THE FIVE PLEDGES
- Training or further education will be provided for all school-leavers and a job or training for jobless young adults.
- Suspected cancer patients will receive their diagnosis within one week.
- The elderly and most vulnerable will receive free personal care.
- Families responsible for antisocial behaviour will face tough action.
- The national deficit will be halved in four years through tax rises, spending cuts and growth.
THE FIVE SCARES
- The Tories would cut schools funding
- Scrap the cancer promise
- Preside over a social care "lottery"
- Reduce police numbers
- Axe Sure Start schemes.