8.45pm Tim Montgomerie on CentreRight: McCain suspends presidential campaign and calls for bipartisan focus on troubled economy
4pm: Tim Montgomerie exclusively reveals that Gordon Brown has slumped to 5.6% and Louise Bagshawe wants to know if Gordon ‘I won’t use my children as props’ Brown is aware of the photoshopped photo on the right…
1.30pm Jim McConalogue on CentreRight: Why David Cameron must lead a New Model Conservative Government
12.30pm Greg Hands on CentreRight: Dramatic findings of the huge PoliticsHome marginals survey
- John Glen, in his first post for CentreRight, thinks Brown’s troubles demonstrate the need for more honesty from politicians of all parties
- Dan Lewis on the financial crisis – how much are post-Enron accounting rules and other regulations to blame?
THE FIRST REVIEW: Jesse Norman on Platform reviews The Plan
Ruth Kelly has asked to leave Cabinet – BBC
The Daily Mail reports that Ruth Kelly was "disgusted" at Brown’s speech.
Will Brown’s speech have any lasting effect?
"Despite the warm reception Mr Brown received for the speech, his future is still uncertain. A strong showing from Mr Cameron next week at his own party conference in Birmingham and continued poor showings in the poll will again lead to Labour MPs returning to Westminster next month questioning whether they can win under Mr Brown." – Telegraph
"His party, if it won’t remove him, is doomed." – Simon Heffer in The Telegraph
Business expressed concern at Gordon Brown’s signal of a potentially dramatic rise in climate change targets – FT
Heseltine to Miliband…
Lord Heseltine has offered the Foreign Secretary some advice through the pages of The Times (our paraphrasing):
- Don’t make another false move of the kind Miliband took in the summer with his Guardian article that failed to mention Brown.
- Labour MPs won’t vote for an end to Brown because that means an early election and turkeys don’t vote for Christmas.
- Wait for Brown to lead the ship to disaster and then provide the (post-election) lifeboat.
- You (Miliband) are not equipped to satisfy the emboldened Left’s hunger for anti-capitalism.
Labour think the voters are wrong – Daniel Finkelstein in The Times
Simon Hart gets £40,000 boost to his campaign to become Welsh MP
"A hedge fund with its headquarters in New York has donated £40,000 to a local Conservative Association in rural Wales… Plaid Cymru’s national chair John Dixon said he was extremely concerned that a company with no local connections was prepared to put so much money into the Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire Conservative Association… The Tory candidate in the seat next time will be Simon Hart, chief executive of the pro-hunting campaign group the Countryside Alliance." – Western Mail
Former Tory MEP Paul Howell dies in Mozambique plane crash – Times
Bill Clinton praises Sarah Palin as "hot" – The Sun
Andrew Rosindell is bitten by monkey during visit to Gibraltar – Independent
Please use this thread to highlight other interesting news and commentary and visit PoliticsHome.com for breaking political news and views throughout the day.