By Tim Montgomerie
Follow Tim on Twitter
Rounding off our Picks of the Year – as voted for by readers the last two winners are…
The u-turn of the year was the pasty tax – voted for by 46.7% of ConHome respondents. The coming U-turn on Heathrow's third runway was second with 33.5% of votes.
Gaffe of the year was Aidan Burley Tweeting about "multicultural crap" during the Olympics Opening Ceremony. It won 30.4% of the vote. Chloe Smith's infamous Newsnight appearance received 29.8% and Nadine Dorries going on I Am A Celebrity won 24.0%.
The previous eight winners were…
- Scrap of the year: Between the parliamentary party and the Tory leadership (on multiple fronts);
- Conservative Minister of the year: Education Secretary Michael Gove;
- Event of the year: The rise of UKIP;
- Policy of the year: The benefits cap;
- One To Watch of the year: Owen Paterson;
- Conservative achievement of the year: Boris Johnson's re-election;
- Yellow B**tard of the year: Nick Clegg;
- Tory backbencher of the year: Jesse Norman.