ConservativeHome is inviting Tory MPs to complete brief profile questionnaires. We are grateful to David Burrowes for kicking off the series. We'll publish Tim Loughton's responses tomorrow.
Date of birth: 12th June 1969.
Constituency: Enfield Southgate.
Areas of interest and expertise:
- Criminal justice
- Drugs and Alcohol policy
- Family policy
- Umbilical cord blood
- Cyprus, Israel and Burma.
Distinguishing career milestones: (including education, jobs, positions and offices held):
- Exeter Law LLB;
- Criminal Defence Solicitor;
- London Borough of Enfield Councillor -Cabinet Member for Voluntary and Community Development;
- Deputy Chair of Social Justice Policy Group review of addictions;
- Shadow Justice Minister;
- Parliamentary Private Secretary to Francis Maude, Oliver Letwin and now Owen Paterson.
Greatest source of political pride: (could be swing, legislation passed, involvement in a campaign): Securing freedom for my constituent Gary McKinnon from extradition to US.
Political hero and why:
William Wilberforce for his Christian convictions, persistence, principles and social reform.
Inspiring political quote:
GK Chesterton – “Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.”
What advice would you give to a young politician?:
Make sure politics is not your life and you are rooted in your local community.
10 QUICK Q&A
- Do you support gay marriage? No
- At how many weeks of pregnancy should abortion become illegal? Am in principle pro life so would support any reduction in time limits which reduces number of abortions
- Should we legalise assisted dying? No
- At some point drugs like cannabis should become legal? No
- In, out or reform of Europe? Reform or out
- Favourite US president? Reagan
- Who is likeliest to be next Tory PM – Boris or one of the 2010 intake? Neither!
- English votes for English laws? Not yet
- Will America, China or India be the most powerful nation by 2050? China
- You have to increase taxes on high value properties, air travel or tobacco? Which one? Tobacco.